>

Blog

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Thinking Chair--Is the Recession Such a Bad Thing?

I want to start a series of posts that are making me think and might make you think too. All of these entries will be titled "Thinking Chair" followed by the thought. Hope that these stir up those brain cells and get you thinking too. I would love to hear any thoughts that you have at the bottom of these posts.

So for my first "Thinking Chair"...it's an awful thing to think with people loosing jobs left and right, but is the recession such a bad thing?

Over the past decade (or more) Americans have been a major drive in consumerism. We buy and buy and toss and toss our goods. In fact if I think back to my lifetime I would say that most of the items that I have bought have broken (and got tossed), have gone out of fashion (and got donated), or are still cluttering my life even though I don't use them. I feel this might be true for many of my fellow Americans. Sellers make items so cheaply, in terms of cost and of course in terms of make, that we don't hold a high value for our things because we can "just go buy another."

For me with the lack of money and more time on my hands I have found myself being more conscious of my buying. In this I mean that I actually am researching my items to make sure that they are well made and going to last me. In this research process I am giving myself time to think about my buying decision. I am not just going out and getting it because "I probably need it." In all, I would say that the Recession has gotten me more humble and in check with conserving, reusing, and spending more time with my loved ones in a more creative way!

I'm aware that things cost money and of my frivolous spending in the past on items and with more time on my hands I have the opportunity to use my brain and come up with creative ways to conserve and reuse and make new. I am also buying better built things and have the intent for these items to be in my life for a very long time. I also am buying things that are a more classic look to my style in the thought that they will not fall out of fashion in my mind in a couple of years. All in all have realized that the Recession has made me a more responsible consumer and has really helped teach me to shop in a way that actually saves me a ton more money in the long run than my previous thought of buy it cause it's cheap.

Tell me what the Recession has done for you in terms of purchases!

0 comments:

Post a Comment