>

Blog

Saturday, February 20, 2010

TEMPLE GRANDIN--ANOTHER DOOR
























I just got done watching the most extraordinary movie. Claire Danes plays the role of an autistic female growing up and dealing with the lack of knowledge of her disorder in the 1950's-70's. My boyfriends nephew is autistic and was the first person I knew with autism. I knew what autism was but could not totally grasp how an autistic mind viewed the world. This movie did an amazing job at making you relate to their views. On top of that, it gives insight into the cattle industry. Temple was easily fascinated with cattle and the slaughter house process. She came up with revolutionary ways of herding and moving cattle in the ranching process that were very violent and sometimes deadly for the cattle before. She is now a professor and a speaker on the topic of Autism and been published several times.

One thing she was told at one point in her life was to see a situation as a "door opening." This saying was meant to be a metaphor but in her literal mind she would actually see doors that could open when she was about to leap a hurdle in her life. I will always see doors now that "could open" for me every where I go.

This movie aired on HBO and I'm not sure where or when you can view it again but if you get the chance or if it eventually gets to Netflix, which I hope it does, then put it at the top of your list of movies to watch. Amazing, amazing, amazing!

To read more about Temple Grandin and where she is now visit her site. To find out more about autism please feel free to visit the Autism Society of America or Autism Research Institute.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was really really impressed a lot when I watched the touching movie on HBO and heard that "open door to new world". It's right, I think. Then, you know, I tried to do things I have never thought before and it's amazing. Try it if you dare! ^^
My name is LINHLINH

Post a Comment